Saturday, February 23, 2008

Week5: Thing #12 Rollyo




Rollyo is a useful tool for focused searches of preselected sites on a specific topic or of a specific nature (ie research sites). As I explored the Rollyo site, I found several great searchrolls that answered personal needs or interests, including Mr. Fix-It! and Mac Search.

I registered with Rollyo and created a searchroll called Black Gold about composting as it is used for organic gardening. That's a narrow topic, but some of my other ideas were problematic, as for example, the idea to create a searchroll for free cataloging records. I thought that any site where you had to login or select a catagory -- such as title, author, or keyword -- would probably not work well. So I did the topic of composting and called it Black Gold, a phrase which, I understand now, has other dubious meanings on the web. Who knew?

No comments: