Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Week 4: Thing 9 Library-related Blogs

A comment on a recent posting in Chris Harris' blog, Infomancy:

In a post on 2.0 Job Descriptions Chris Harris refers to a post by Michael Stephens (Tame the Web) for the ALA TechSource blog in which Stephens offers a great definition of play that I need to remember personally and in my role as a teacher librarian.

Harris recounts Stephens' comments:

The team I lead is very flexible and comfortable with change and having to readjust when things don’t work because we aren’t afraid to fail. Failure is an opportunity to learn and make things better. I don’t mean we like to fail, we are all pretty obsessive about success and over-delivery on promises. However, we aren’t paralyzed by the fear of failure to the point of continuing down a safe path (or even a doomed path) just because change brings additional risk. Perhaps this is another way of defining “play” which is one of the verbs that is really critical in this.

Learned for the first time about ed.voicethread.com on Joyce Valenza's NeverendingSearch blog at School Library Journal (a good source for useful blogs). Voicethread is a secure website for k-12 schools to use that allows visual storytelling with images, voice, and text. I want to spend more time there and imagine how it can be used at school.

I don't want to subscribe to many feeds, just a few good ones. Rather than collecting many new ideas, I'd rather explore a few of them well enough so that I could share them and use them at school.

No comments: