Saturday, March 15, 2008

Week 8: Thing #19 Library Thing


Adding books to Library Thing as I read them will be a great way to remember titles I want to recommend to students at my school.

Library Thing is pretty interesting. It's fairly easy to add books. I did find that, for those titles which contain common words, it's better to look up the exact ISBN on Amazon rather than doing a title search, which can yield far too many results to look through. For example, when I wanted to find the book, Millions by Frank Cottrell, and entered that title by name, I got 1700 hits, including books that had the word millions anywhere within the title.

A feature that seems very good is the Local feature. I discovered some great events at public libraries near Boston, not exactly local for me, living near Worcester, but possible.

I finally added the Library Thing widget to this blog page. It's a neat idea, especially for a school library web page, to have a widget that has a selection of books that are actually in one's own collection in Library Thing.

No comments: