Saturday, March 1, 2008

Week 6: Thing #14 Technorati


I explored this blog search engine and tried the search for School Library Learning 2.0 first as an advanced search and then in the search box on the Technorati home page. The results were fewer but more relevant for the advanced search --- as expected. 67 vs 1304 posts and 15 vs 24 blogs. I did not see how to search specifically for tags, though I thought that is what the search feature did anyway, ie search for tags.

On some searches I see a list of related tags, but not for the phrase, School Library Learning 2.0. I did see tag clouds on various screens, including the help page. These tag clouds remind me of relevance search features in a beta version of www.altavista.com shortly after Digital Equipment, the developer, sold it. The feature was short lived, but a fascinating and helpful one.

I watched a few UTube videos on Technorati to see if I could learn a little more about this search engine, but did not get any useful information. I suppose if I had a tech company, I might, as one presenter did, want to check to see how many folks were blogging about my company or me, and how many linked to me as a favorite. But right now, I can't see myself doing that.

My experiments with searching various topics on Technorati left me unimpressed. I got some relevant results, but mostly I found the results not worth the time.

I might use Technorati to see what Joyce Valenza or Chris Harris had to say about a particular topic or to check blog reviews if I were contemplating the purchase of equipment or some technical service.

No comments: