Saturday, January 26, 2008

Week 3: Thing #5 -- Flickr


It's easy to spend hours and hours looking at images on the Flickr site and in Flickr groups. Some images are great; most are not. The tags feature is really helpful in narrowing image searches.

At The Library of Congress Flickr group I found a neat color photo of a grocery storefront taken in the 1940's. This image is from one of two collections LOC has recently posted in Flickr in an effort to bring more of their collection directly to the public. It's a copyright free image.

What makes searching the LOC images through their Flickr group different, as opposed to viewing the photographs directly through the American Memory Collection at the LOC website, is that one can leave comments about -- and even directly on (!!!) --- the images and set tags in Flickr. There's a blog attached to this group, too. I am intrigued by commenters' knowledge of times and places. I want to look further to see examples of how schools have used Flickr to engage students.

A small technical challenge that I am still working on is removing what was my first attempt to upload the image from LOC's persistent URL for that photograph. Instead of uploading the image to my blog as I had first intended, I inserted only a link to the image.

I did finally place the image in my blog by saving it first to the desktop and then inserting it from the Edit Posts page; however, the additional active link to the image remains.

Play takes time!

No comments: